Having a million dollars is something many of us dream about from a young age. It’s fun to think up all the weird, wonderful and wacky ways we could spend a million dollars. And in the New Year’s Eve $31 Million Megadraw, it may well become a reality for some lucky winner. So we thought we’d help them with some ideas on how to spend their winnings.
First things first, share it with your loved ones.
- Fly your whole family in a private jet to private villa in the Maldives
- Above all, pay off your mortgage… and your parents… and your sisters…
Next, you’ll want to do some home renovations:
- Perhaps install solar panels in yours and 141 other homes.
- Build an Olympic size swimming pool in your backyard.
- Step it up and install a cinema – Goldmund offer an ultra luxurious home theater for $1 million dollars.
At some point, you’ll likely want to travel to further shores….
- Why not start by hiring your own private jet for a round the world trip?
- Maybe stop on a private island in Fiji and get Gordon Ramsay to cook for you and 5 friends for a week.
- Stay for 6 weeks at the Burj al Arab in Dubai ($24,000 per night, plus $850 for room service)
- Spend a weekend in New York – stay at the four seasons, sit in the premium seats at the superbowl, go VIP at a Madison Square Gardens concert, go on a Fifth Avenue shopping spree and by some art at Sotheby’s.
- Perhaps you like to explore? Hire a super-yacht for a 3 week trip in the Greek Isles (prices start at $300,000 a week)
- Or spend 2 years traveling to 150 countries and visit every Unesco world heritage site.
If you’re wanting more than just a holiday…
- Buy a 4 bed villa on Hamilton Island for $950,000
- Or how about a 1 bed apartment in Sydney CBD
- Maybe a 5 bed mansion nestled next to the wineries in the Mornington Peninsula is more your thing?
- Or better still, why not buy a vineyard in France?
Helping others and giving to charity is one of the more fulfilling ways to share your money.
- $1 million would build 76 schools in Cambodia
- Perhaps buy water pumps to provide 1,782 villages with clean water
- 390,000 children could receive the polio vaccine
- Maybe you could provide school supplies for 141, 342 children. Ensure they continue to learn during times of crisis and conflict, or in the hardest to reach areas.
- Give 6,667 sheep to farmers meaning access to vital income so they can feed their families.
- Invest in an ethical startup – such as Sanergy – a Kenyan social enterprise that makes prefabricated concrete toilets to turn human waste into fertilizer.
Then, of course, there’s the downright ridiculous…
- At $1,000 a kilo, $1 million will buy you 1,000 kilos of Kopi Luwak, the world’s most expensive coffee (made from poo from a relation of the weasel family, did you know?)
- Certainly, at $49,000 a bottle, you can have 20 bottles of Dom Perignon Rose Gold.
- Or if wine’s more your thing, you can get 6 bottles of Crystal Aevum Imperial – the most exclusive bottle of wine at $140,000 a bottle.
- Buy a million dollar super-car such as The Rolls-Royce Phantom Serenity or the McLaren P1 (if it wasn’t sold out)
- Buy a submarine – the C-Explorers submersible to be exact
- Go to space – at $250,000 a flight, you can take 3 of your best friends with you!
- Add another pair of special edition Beats by Dr Dre to the cart – complete with 114 carats of diamonds.
- Buy a Mac Daddy’s fishing bait – made of 3 pounds of gold and platinum and encrusted with 100 carats of diamonds and rubies. This would up your fishing game!
- Buy a parking space in downtown Manhattan – located on 66 E. 11th St, this million dollar parking spot costs more than 6 times that of the average family home.
- Book Jay Z to play at your party once, or hire Kanye West AND Lionel Ritchie (I know who I’d rather have).
Finally, if you want to do more than just dream of winning a million dollars, get your tickets for the upcoming Powerball or Oz Lotto now!